The sun is shining and the weekends are filled with festivals, farmer’s markets, and more. Summer has finally arrived for another year and it is time to embrace it. In the past, I have written a lot about the health benefit of foods and the reasons why you should eat certain things.
Or I have spoken about the latest food trends or how food items are produced. This week, in the spirit of Canada day, I thought I celebrate some of the amazing things that summertime in Manitoba brings.
Here is a list of 12 food and drink related activities to do this summer:
- Hit up as many food trucks are possible. They are everywhere. Pull over if you are driving and support these local businesses. Everything from burgers to tacos to popsicles and poutine, there are so many unique and delicious items to try from these compact little restaurants.
- Go strawberry picking. There are many farms located just outside Winnipeg for great berry picking. Pick the freshest strawberries you will ever taste. Freeze some for enjoyment in the colder months.
- Eat doughnuts! This trendy snack us always sure to please. Hit up Bronuts or Oh Doughnuts for a daily selection of unique and interesting creations. Get there early as they tend to sell out by lunchtime.
- Visit the Fringe Festival. Catch a show and enjoy the beer gardens and all the snack vendors in Old Market Square. Watch a show at the King’s Head and enjoy a meal off their eclectic menu.
- Go to one of the many farmer’s markets. These amazing markets are popping up everywhere in the city. Grab your reusable shopping bags and head down to a market and grab some ingredients for dinner or your daily lunch.
- Go for ice cream to one of the many seasonal shops and don’t forget the sprinkles! I must say that everything in life is better with sprinkles, so grab some ice cream, make it as big as possible and enjoy the moment.
- Sit on a patio. Winnipeg is known for great patios, especially many of the new rooftop patios around the city. Grab some friends, grab some margaritas and create some memories.
- Drive to the Half Moon in Lockport and grab a hot dog. This iconic drive-in is a summer must. The drive to Lockport is beautiful. A walk by the river with ice cream after your meal is a sure way to feel relaxed while enjoying dessert.
- Pack a picnic. This is simple. Grab a blanket, something to drink, a few snacks and don’t forget a frisbee or ball. Relax, enjoy some food and get in some physical activity.
- Attend a Goldeye’s game. These games are packed with family fun and food for days. The choices of vendors are impressive and the food is reasonably priced which makes this a must for everyone this summer.
- Attend a summer fair or festival. The Morden Corn and Apple Festival, the Morris Stampeded, or the Canadian National Ukrainian Festival are great reasons to get out of the city. The homemade food, the entertainment and the activities make these festival a simple little getaway.
- Host a backyard BBQ or bonfire. Nothing says summer like the smell of a BBQ or the crackle of a bonfire. Grill up some meat and fresh corn on the cob and grab the marshmallows to make smores for dessert. Enjoy the pleasure of cooking and eating outside while taking in a few laughs and the stars.
Summer is finally here! Grab some friends, hit up a patio, and most importantly, eat something exciting because summer 2016 will never be back again. Relish in the summertime weather and make some memories to last a lifetime.
Melissa Hryb is the chef at Marion Street Eatery, where she specializes in hearty comfort food with a twist.
Follow her on Twitter @MarionStreetEat or Instagram @MarionStreetEatery
Featured image taken by clement127.